- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Mirliton Slaw, recipe follows
Combine all ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the hot oil and, using the back of a spoon, flatten the mixture slightly. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
2 mirliton, pits removed and julienned
1 red bell pepper, cored and julienned
1 jalapeno, minced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Spread the mirlitons in 1 layer in a strainer set over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let sit until they release some of their water, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Combine the drained mirlitons, bell pepper, jalapeno, green onions, and parsley. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Pour the dressing over the mirliton and mix well. Adjust seasoning, to taste, with salt and pepper.