10/08/2005(Sat) No.1 - Blue Spring[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy Fowler
D.Service :
Weather : Sunny
Temp. : 85 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 72 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 72 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 00:00:00
Time In : 10:29:57
Time Out : 11:59:30
Dive Time : 01:26:25
Ave.Depth : 38 ft
Max.Depth : 117 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 216 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 2416 PSI
Pres. Out. : 1282 PSI
Air Consum. : 6.86 Lbs/Min
Visibility H. : 60 ft
Visibility V. : 60 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 131
Total Time : 94:57

I had fun today. We took Mike S and Desiree. Since they're not Cave/Cavern certified, we signed up in two parties so Billy and I could carry lights and go to the bottom. We carried the gear all the way down to the water and realized that we had a bad o-ring on Mike's manifold. Hiked back up to the car, got the kit, replaced the o-ring, then took the kit back to the car. Now we're sweating! Got in the water. The current was nasty on the kick up (but not as nasty as it was earlier this summer. Got up to the source and hung out for a while to catch our breath. Started down.

Billy went straight to the bottom (or about 90 ft), I stayed back with Mike and Desiree to make sure they were OK. I stopped for them to catch up with me and noticed Billy swimming at me with eyes the size of golf balls. He was signaling that he was out of air. I knew that was impossible since we just checked it. I wasn't sure if this was a drill or what but figured I'd hand him my reg and ask questions later. I held onto him and asked if he was OK. He motioned OK to me but was still panicky. I held him in place since he was too positively bouyant. Once he regained composure, he let air out of his BC and dry suit. We moved over onto a ledge and took a few deep breaths. He then started to check his valves and realized that he had forgotten to turn one on and the other had apparently rolled off bumping against the cave ceiling.

We were all relaxed and fine now. Billy dropped back to the bottom. I made sure that Mike and Desiree were OK. Told them to be checking each others gages regularly and caught up to Billy.

Billy and I played around at about 120 ft for a while. Turned our lights off and hung out for a bit. Billy cracked open a chem-light. Looks like it would provide plenty of light to work our way out of a cave in an emergency. We started working our way back out.

As we came up, Mike and Desiree exited. I wanted them to wait but was unable to get their attention. We came up slowly, did a safety stop then exited. I told Mike and Desiree that there was a pretty cool cave at 20 ft. They followed us back down and we lit up the cave for them. They agreed that it was a pretty cool little cave. We searched around a little more at shallow depths. Mike found another cool little crevace on the other side.

We came back up and started our return. Desiree was cold and didn't want to put her face back in the water so she floated on the surface while me, Billy and Mike coasted along the bottom watching the fish on the way.

I practiced my bouyancy, kicks and breathing and was very happy with my progress. I'm about ready to go for another cave :-)

As you can see from the graph, these two dives only counted as one on my computer since we had a very short surface interval. My mistake! :-P