03/04/2006(Sat) No.1 - 40 Fathom Grotto[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy Fowler
D.Service :
Weather : Sunny
Temp. : 74 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 63 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 63 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 00:00:00
Time In : 13:23:10
Time Out : 14:35:42
Dive Time : 01:12:35
Ave.Depth : 75 ft
Max.Depth : 216 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : 10 ft
Safety Stop.Time : 10 min
Tank Capacity : 216 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3600 PSI
Pres. Out. : 2100 PSI
Air Consum. : 6.67 Lbs/Min
Visibility H. : 30 ft
Visibility V. : 30 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 166
Total Time : 131:06

This was the second of four dives in my Trimix course. The surface of the water was covered in duck weed. They turned on the jets before we went in to clear the duck weed from the steps. We went in with three gases. 14/50 trimix, EAN 50 and 100% oxygen. John told us to just start the dive on our back gas (14/50) since it would only take us a couple of breaths to get to 20ft (14% is not enough oxygen above 20ft). We dropped down and started following one of the many lines. John turned us around at about 120ft. I thought maybe he was having another rebreather problem. We went up just enough to jump to another line and headed back down. As we went down we were passing over old cars, boats, Power Wheel toy cars, street signs, etc. Looks like this was once used for a dumping ground. We got to the last car just below 200ft. John had Billy tie off to the car so we could go a little deeper. We went probably another 20ft and headed back. I was leading on the way back. I was watching the deco stops from the tables and slowly passing the deep stops, 150, 140, 130, etc. Billy came up along side me and showed me that the computer said we could jump to about 100ft. I followed and we started doing deco as outlined by the computer. We had no problems maintaining bouyancy at our stops. Around 20ft we started getting a little cold. By the 10ft stop we started kicking back and forth around the platform to stay warm. John, on his rebreather, was out of deco about 30 minutes before us so he was swimming all over, goofing off, swimming upside down, burning time waiting for us.

We finished deco and got out. We took our tanks off so we wouldn't have to carry them up the steep steps right after a 200+ foot dive. We got up top and took off our dry suits. A gentleman walked over and introduced himself to us. It was Hal Watts, the owner and holder of the world depth record on air! He hung out and talked to us for a while. That was cool!

We waited for about an hour then went down and retrieved our tanks. John spoke to us about our performance. Looks like we should have been following the tables, not the computer, at least until he told us otherwise. He did compliment us on our bouyancy and technique. It was a good dive. I learned a lot. And made a new personal record :-)