11/4/2006(Sat) No.2 - Suwannee Blue Spring[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy Fowler
D.Service :
Weather : Sunny
Temp. : 78 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 69 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 69 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 03:01:00
Time In : 14:47:38
Time Out : 16:34:36
Dive Time : 01:46:30
Ave.Depth : 8 ft
Max.Depth : 16 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 232 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3600 PSI
Pres. Out. : 2400 PSI
Air Consum. : 3 CuFt/Min
Visibility H. : 80 ft
Visibility V. : 80 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : *****
Dive Number : 214
Total Time : 184:55

This is a gorgeous cave system! It's like limestone swiss cheese. Holes and passages all over the place! We got as far as the small passage that Joe and Jordan went into. Billy ran a jump to the opening and pointed it out to me. I stuck my head in and felt both my tanks hit, top and bottom. I turned to Billy and motioned to continue. He gathered up his spool and continued to what looked like the end of the cave. Up above us was a hole. Billy headed up through it and I followed. It lead us to the surface where we found ourselves on our bellys, on the bed of a shallow stream. We crawled (on our bellys) for about 30ft where there was another hole we dropped into that put us back in the cave system. We continued way back, bend after bend, curve after curve. We passed over some mastadon bones (what appeared to be a piece of large rib bone and some spine) and some sea shells (I saw a small sand dollar). We went around a corner through a tight restriction and continued on for about another couple hundred feet. We got to a part with small pebbles on the floor. Billy stopped and I stopped behind him. As I stopped, I started to sink slowly to the floor. I opened my hand to rest it gently on the pebbles. As my weight pressed down upon the pebbles, the started to mush. I realized that those weren't pebbles, but clay! I regained my bouyancy and followed Billy until he went into another tight passage and whited us out again. :-) We slowly backed out, holding the line and worked our way out of the silt. We figured that this was as good of time as any to turn the dive. We were 50min into the cave at this point and we still had about 3000psi in the tanks! Sure is different diving shallow caves! :-) On the way back out, I motioned to Billy that I was ready to try that small passage. Billy ran the jump again. I took off one of my tanks, held it in front of me and started in. Even with one tank off it was dificult to navigate my way through the tight tunnel. I got to a small "z" bend and stopped. I saw a piece of tablet that Joe had left behind. I picked it up and went to continue on when I realized that I was no longer able to move, forward or backwards. Doh! I took a couple of deep breaths and inspected the shape of the cave. I rotated myself until I was almost upside down and started pushing again. Inch by inch I was able to work my way through. As I cleared the "z" I was free again. I got a few more feet back in and the passage opened into a small room. I was finally able to turn around. I inspected the room, looked at the passage where the line continued and started my return. This time I decided to take it a little slower, reading the cave before each move. That seemed to work a whole lot better! :-) As I came out, Billy took a picture (see link). We resumed our exit, stopping at other passages along the way. I pointed out a few holes in the ceiling that opened up into rooms to Billy. He decided to pop up into one. He dropped back down and ran a jump, thinking that he had found new passage, as he headed in with his spool, he saw that a line had already been run. Funny! No virgin cave this time!! :-P