08/23/2008(Sat) No.1 - Cow Springs[Florida]





[Log]
Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy Fowler
D.Service :
Weather : Rainy
Temp. : 85 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 68 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 68 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 85's
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 00:00:00
Time In : 12:42:31
Time Out : 14:00:02
Dive Time : 01:17:35
Ave.Depth : 59 ft
Max.Depth : 103 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 232 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3600 PSI
Pres. Out. : 2000 PSI
Air Consum. : .75 PSI
Visibility H. : 40 ft
Visibility V. : 40 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ****
Dive Number : 306
Total Time : 258:23


[Memo]
Well, it's the weekend of Hurricane (Tropical Storm) Fay. We figured that it wouldn't hurt the water coming out of the springs. Billy checked on-line before coming and saw that the state parks (springs) were still open. We met Heather at Ginnie Springs at 9:00a.m. Billy and I checked in and paid. While we were waiting for Heather to get checked in, they told us that they had decided to close the park and were going to refund us our money. We argued with them but couldn't convince them to let us dive.

We told Heather that there was another spring (Little River) about 20min from here that may be open. She wanted to take the chance and give it a shot. Heather and her mom followed us over to Little River only to find the gate locked. Unfortunately that was the only other spring in the area. We talked for a bit, appologized and sent Heather back with no dive. :-(

Billy and I decided to cancel our dive trip. We headed back to the trailer to pack up and leave. We stopped at Peacock on our way and saw that it was open. The spring looked pretty tanic so we left. We decided that we would give Cow a shot, it's always good. We went and got the key, then headed to the spring. We unloaded the gear in the rain and proceded to gear up. We carried the tanks down to the water only to find the water brown and muddy looking. Billy said, "screw it, let's go home". I said, "Cow flows pretty good. I bet it's clear in the basin". We decided to finish gearing up and give it a shot. Glad we did! Once we got about 6-8 ft down from the surface, it really cleared up.

As we were gearing up at the truck, Billy had noticed that his tanks were not full, so he grabbed my stage bottle. He started with 2400/2000 in his 85's and a full 80 stage. We went in, Billy dropped the stage before Not My Fault. After we dropped down, the line went around a corner but Billy kept going straight. I flashed him and asked him if he meant to make a jump and he shook his head, "yes". We continued on to about 1500 ft before Billy hit thirds and we turned.

On the way out, we took it slow and checked things out along the way. Billy turned on his camera in video mode and recoreded almost the entire exit. I think my finning technique has improved quite a bit!! :-P

We got back to the basin and stopped for deco. I asked Billy if we were going to head downstream. He pointed to his guages and said, "no". I swam around him just to poke my head into the downstream tunnel. Wow! All that mud run-off from the surface was getting sucked downstream. We waited out our deco and exited. :-) Nice dive though!



[Graph]
Graph