06/26/2009(Fri) No.1 - Ginnie Springs[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Solo
D.Service :
Weather : Partly Coudy
Temp. : 92 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 71 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 71 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 85's
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 00:00:00
Time In : 12:01:28
Time Out : 12:48:42
Dive Time : 00:47:15
Ave.Depth : 53 ft
Max.Depth : 92 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 170 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 1700 PSI
Pres. Out. : 700 PSI
Air Consum. : PSI
Visibility H. : 60 ft
Visibility V. : 60 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 332
Total Time : 275:07
Dive Type : Cave Dive

First cave dive in 10 months! Can't believe it's been so long! Billy had an issue with his rebreather that he had to fix and I was using up the last 1700 PSI of his air tanks, so I asked if I should go alone and suck that up while he was getting his breather back in order. He said to go ahead so I geared up and hopped in. I went out to Devil's Ear. The river had intruded and it was pitch black inside so I decided to turn back around and enter at Devil's Eye. I got in to the Breakdown Room and saw that there were about 5 lines running off the main line in all different directions. I headed toward Devil's Ear to see how it looked, but I couldn't see any light through it so I turned around. With all the lines in there, I lost track of which direction was my exit. I backed up, looked at the sign and which direction the main line was headed, then poked my nose back up into Devil's Eye to confirm my exit.

I headed up the main line, through the Lips. As I got to Keyhole, I saw some lights coming. I slid over to the side and waited for a pair of divers to come through. As they got through, I saw more lights coming. I pushed back and waited for another pair of divers to come through. It was all clear now so I headed on through. I got to Park Bench and swam around it, checking things out. I went over and poked my head into the Wormhole entrance and had a look around. As I backed out, I saw more lights coming. I hovered in the corner by the Wormhole entrance and waited for these divers to pass. The last one asked if I was OK. I signaled OK back to him and let them pass. I headed up the main line to the Hill 400 jump and turned there (since I was at thirds). I slowly headed back, hoping that the other dive teams had had a chance to exit since I wasn't going to have much deco and didn't want to push my way through them. :-)

As I worked my way out, there was only one team left. I had a short stop at 20 ft. I stayed in the corner and waited for them to finish but it looked as if they still had a bit of deco left. My tanks were now down to about 700 PSI and very buoyant. I didn't really want to exit past them and shoot to the surface, but didn't want to stay down there for no reason while Billy was on the surface waiting for me to go dive. I let as much air as I could out of my dry suit and my wing and decided to attempt a slow, controlled ascent. I passed the two divers and went to the wall, where I grabbed each out-cropping to slow my ascent. As I got to the top of the wall, I swam toward the Little Devil run with my nose pointed down, to keep me under the swimmers. That lasted for about a third of the run and I hit the surface. I made it back to the exit, just as Billy was closing the truck up and was ready to get in. I had him open it back up, grabbed my other tanks and did a quick swap to head back in.