2/27/2010(Sat) No.2 - Hole In The Wall[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy, Joe
D.Service :
Weather : Cloudy
Temp. : 55 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 65 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 63 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 85's
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 01:36:00
Time In : 15:27:15
Time Out : 16:54:52
Dive Time : 01:27:40
Ave.Depth : 60 ft
Max.Depth : 83 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 232 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3600 PSI
Pres. Out. : 1900 PSI
Air Consum. : .78 PSI
Visibility H. : 15 ft
Visibility V. : 15 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 357
Total Time : 293:57
Dive Type : Cave Dive

We headed back down the lake to our next dive spot. We moored up to a platform, slightly smaller than the last and proceded to gear up in the freezing wind. We got in and headed toward the hole. We were told that upstream was cloudy until about 400ft, then cleared up. We got to the upstream/downstream split and Joe flipped up some silt to determine which direction was which. Unfortunately, both sides were "springing". Since downstream was the first one we checked and it looked like it was upstream, that's the route we took. Billy was trying to tell Joe that the other direction was the direction we wanted, but Joe didn't notice and it really didn't matter anyway.

We headed down the tunnel. This cave has a little more character, so it wasn't the same thing over and over. Lots of different shaped passages and formations, dips and bends. This cave passage was definitely enough to entertain me. :-) Billy had his camera and was trying to take pictures, but wasn't having much luck. He kept stopping to futz with the camera (and pee I think). I would notice that he was no longer behind us, then he was there, then he wasn't, then he was. We turned at one point until we found Billy, then continued on. We got about 1,800 feet in and hit a restriction. At that point, Joe decided it was time to turn. I was good with that. I took a quick look at my computer. Bad idea! We had been going into this cave for 39 minutes. My "little guy" reminded me that this meant that it was going to take 39 minutes to get out, no matter what happened! I took a deep breath and told my "little guy" to shut up. He did, and I calmly continued my dive. :-)

On our way out, I saw a couple of albino craefish and an albino salimander? I had never seen one of these before! I wasn't sure what it was until I asked Joe after the dive. It was pretty cool! We had just passed the 1,000 foot mark on our way out. I was crossing over the line and reached out to touch it when I noticed something shiny floating in the water, sinking toward the floor. I stopped and looked just as it hit the silty floor and sunk in. I turned and headed over to it. I stuck my hand into the silt to see what it was. It was my dive watch!! Apparently my rubber watch band had finally given out after 10+ years of use. I held my watch in my hand until we exited the cave, then put it into the pocket I have on my rig.

So, although we ended up heading downstream and never made it out of the fog, this turned out to be a very nice dive!