04/17/2010(Sat) No.1 - Hudson Grotto[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Class
D.Service :
Weather : Partly Coudy
Temp. : 78 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 63 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 61 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : 3/6mm Long
Inner Wear : Rash Guard
Weight : 14 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 100
Equipment :
S.I.Time : 21:16:00
Time In : 09:58:27
Time Out : 10:43:41
Dive Time : 00:45:15
Ave.Depth : 38 ft
Max.Depth : 46 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 100 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3500 PSI
Pres. Out. : 2100 PSI
Air Consum. : 16.18 PSI
Visibility H. : 15 ft
Visibility V. : 15 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 362
Total Time : 297:51
Dive Type : AOW Class

This was my first time at Hudson Grotto. I had no idea what to expect. Joe told me that it would be warm, so I didn't bring my dry suit this dive. Our plan for the first dive was to work our way to the 60 ft platform and do navigation skills.

We got into the water and I started hearing complaints that the water was cold. I assured them that this was just in contrast to the heat of gearing up. We headed in and got to the 20 ft platform. So far so good. Everyone was OK at this point, so we decided to drop to the 45-50 ft platform. As we passed the 35 ft mark, the water temperature dropped drastically! From 35 ft to 50 ft, we went through three thermoclines and the water dropped to 61 degrees! Everyone was freezing cold, but we wanted to get through the training, so everyone toughed it out.

We sent the students off with Jason leading the first "square" compass course. It was a small square, but they returned quickly. Then it was Allan's turn to lead. They went off into the abyss, but about 5 min later, they returned to the platform. At this point, Jason signaled me that he was cold and wanted to exit. I told him to hold while I checked with Joe. Joe said he wanted him to hold until the last person was done with their compass course. I asked Jason if he could hold a little longer. He said OK, so I told him to swim back and forth across the platform to keep warm.

Lastly, Joe took the lead on the final "square" compass course. Joe power-stroked it out of there with Allan trying to keep up and they and their lights, completely disappeared from view. We waited several minutes for them to return. It seemed like an eternity in that 61 degree water! When they didn't come right back, Joe ask me to stay on the platform and use my light as a becon, while he went out to look for them. Joe found them and they finally made it back to the platform.

We quickly headed back to the 20 ft platform and started our exit. As we passed through the 35 ft mark, it felt like getting into a jacuzzi! So we took our time on the 20 ft platform, practicing our buoyancy and making a proper safety stop.

It wasn't a bad dive, but we were all glad it was over!