04/17/2010(Sat) No.2 - Hudson Grotto[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Class
D.Service :
Weather : Partly Coudy
Temp. : 80 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 65 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 62 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : 3/6mm Long
Inner Wear : Rash Guard
Weight : 14 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 100
Equipment :
S.I.Time : 01:30:00
Time In : 12:14:22
Time Out : 12:44:39
Dive Time : 00:30:20
Ave.Depth : 59 ft
Max.Depth : 107 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 100 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 2100 PSI
Pres. Out. : 1100 PSI
Air Consum. : 13.33 PSI
Visibility H. : 15 ft
Visibility V. : 15 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 363
Total Time : 298:22
Dive Type : AOW Class

Everyone but Jason was game for a second dive. I was cold enough on the last dive, that I really didn't care to make another dive, but I wanted to see the bottom. I made up my mind that I was going to do a quick bounce and see what it looked like. Joe, Joe and Allan wanted to explore some more. Jason said that the only reason he didn't want to go again, was because of the cold.

As we were talking during our surface interval, some other divers came back. I asked them jokingly, if they enjoyed the cold water. They replied that it wasn't that bad. I said, "What do you mean? 61 degrees is freezing!". They replied, that when you get past the halocline at around 85 ft, it warms back up. I convinced Jason that he should do a quick bounce with me to the bottom. I told him that he had to tough it out through the cold. Then at the 100 ft platform, if he still wanted to exit, we would. He agreed and we headed back in.

We swam out to the 100 ft platform float. We waited until Joe's team was well on their way down the descent line before we began our descent. Once Jason was comfortable and ready, we started dropping down the line. We hit the thermoclines beginning at 35 ft. My mask started fogging up. I could hardly see a thing, but I noticed that Jason slowed down and looked at his SPG. I could tell that he was contemplating turning back when things didn't warm up below 85 ft. But he was a trooper and went all the way to the platform at 100 ft. Right as we got to the platform, about 99 ft, the water warmed back up. I still couldn't see and gently landed on Allan. :-) I regained my buoyancy while Joe, Joe and Allan started their dive off the platform. After a short "breather" on the 100 ft platform, I asked Jason if he was OK. He responded with the hang-lose sign. I knew that meant he was comfortable and ready to continue the dive.

We looked around the platform and saw on of the lines running off the platform, into the abyss. I pointed it out to Jason and he signaled, "let's go!". We went out to a steel frame, looked around and headed back to the platform. We looked around under the platform until we found another line. This one took us to the sunken boat. We found another line on the other side of the platform. Jason signaled that he was going to wait for me at the platform. I started following it, but when I lost sight of Jason's light, I decided to turn back. I was passed by some technical divers and one of them grabbed my leg and pulled me. I was pretty sure it was Billy, who I had seen during our surface interval. I laughed, but hoped he wasn't pulling me because I was silting things up or had the line attached to me or anything. Later, on the surface, he told me that it was him, messing with me.

I got back to the platform and checked to see if Jason was OK. He was still in a good mood! I checked his air pressure and he was down to 1400 PSI. We started a slow ascent up the rope. As we ascended, we saw Billy's team making their ascent as well. We caught up to Joe and his team and from there, ascended together. Joe messed with people, flooding masks, removing fins, etc. while we practiced our buoyancy. We made a nice slow ascent and safety stop, then exited.

That turned out to be a very nice dive!!