10/03/2010(Sun) No.1 - Corbets[Florida]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : Billy Fowler
D.Service :
Weather : Sunny
Temp. : Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 68 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 67 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : Dry Suit
Inner Wear : Polartec
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 85's
Equipment : Cave Gear
S.I.Time : 21:50:00
Time In : 12:02:40
Time Out : 13:17:22
Dive Time : 01:14:35
Ave.Depth : 16 ft
Max.Depth : 36 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : 218 Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 3400 PSI
Pres. Out. : 3000 PSI
Air Consum. : .71 Cu/Ft/min
Visibility H. : 30 ft
Visibility V. : 30 ft
Access1 : Shore
Access2 : Spring
Rating : ***
Dive Number : 382
Total Time : 312:33
Dive Type : Cave Dive

This was our last dive of the trip. There was no boat ramp here. We had to take the canoe off the van and trek through the woods with it, down to the river bank. After we got the canoe in the water, we had to go back to the van and take our gear down, piece by piece. Once the canoe was ready, we had to take a break to get our breath back. :-) After a short rest, we launched up the river in the canoe.

We found the entrance to the spring and tied the canoe off. We geared up and headed in. This cave totally reminded me of Telford! About the same visibility (around 15 - 20 feet), sandy bottom, rock dome ceiling, through a couple of sink holes on the way in. Wow! Deja vu!

The line in this cave was REALLY bad! We hadn't planned on running line and thus, hadn't brought anything but a few safety/jump spools each. We picked up the broken main line in a few placed and tied it back together. When there was no main line to "fix", we took one of Billy's ping spools and ran it.

After getting through the sink holes, we found a dome that was dry at the top. We swam up into it. There were plants growing in it. It was obviously getting air from the outside. It was pretty cool!

There were several rooms with tall domed ceilings. Some real interesting cave. We got back about 600 - 700 feet. The cave started pinching down. I hadn't been comfortable the whole dive. I was getting close to thirds. I signaled to Billy that I was going to turn and that he could continue on. He signaled that he would turn also. I told him that I was fine exiting alone, but he insisted in turning as a team. So we took our time, enjoying the scenery on the way out.

This turned out to be another nice (75 minute) dive.