12/29/2011(Thu) - 2 DiveNo.416 - Blue Grotto[Florida, USA]

Diver : Michael Clay
Dive Master :
Buddy : David Couch
D.Service : Geekdiver
Weather : Sunny
Temp. : 48 Fahrenheit
Ave.w.temp : 69 Fahrenheit
Min.w.temp : 69 Fahrenheit
Diving Suit : DUI Dry Suit
Inner Wear : T100
Weight : 0 Lbs
Tank Material : Steel 85s
Equipment : Camera
S.I.Time : 01:41:00
Time In : 13:49:32
Time Out : 14:26:18
Dive Time : 00:36:45
Ave. Depth : 46 ft
Max. Depth : 89 ft
Safety Stop.Depth : ft
Safety Stop.Time : min
Tank Capacity : Cu/Ft
Pres. In : 2500 PSI
Pres. Out. : 2000 PSI
Air Consum. : 6.25 Cu/Ft/Min
Visibility H. : 60 ft
Visibility V. : 60 ft
Water Cond. : No Current
Access : Shore
Water Body : Spring
Tank Gas : Air Rating : ****
Dive Number : 416
Total Time : 340:27
Dive Type : Fun Dive

Back on the surface, we had a guy approach us looking for a dive buddy. He said he was an experienced diver with a Rescue certification. We told him that he was welcome to join us. We never got his name so we called him "Carl". David wasn't feeling well. He had been sick the night before. So he decided to sit this dive out.

We got in the water and started our descent. I led the dive. As I looked back to make sure everyone was there, I noticed that "Carl" was hanging vertically off the line, going hand over hand down to peace rock. He had hold of his BCD inflator/deflator and didn't seem to want to let go. We waited on Peace Rock until everyone was there, relaxed and ready to go. Once "Carl" said he was ready, we dropped down around the back. "Carl" kept the rope in one hand and his BCD in the other the entire way around. As we came up around the other side, Mark signalled that he would split off with "Carl". Buddy told Mark to stay with me and he would take "Carl" back.

Mark and I wove around through the breakdown. I went through a relatively tight swim-through. Since I was in my sidemount gear, I had no problems. Once I got through, I turned around to make sure Mark made it through. He struggled just a bit as his tank scraped through the rock, then popped out. At that point, we had seen everything and decided we may as well start wroking our way out.

We made a safety stop and looked around the platforms for a few minutes. There were several holes in the ground that looked like they may have had posts in the to hold a former platform. We looked into a few of the holes with our lights, then headed toward our exit. As we made it to the surface platform, I saw a big catfish under it. I asked Mark if he had seen it. He said that he didn't but wanted to see it. We both dropped back below the surface. I found the catfish and pointed it out to Mark. It was probably about 1.5 - 2 feet long. This turned out to be a nice, relaxing dive.